December 31, 2013

Elijah's promise

What a GREAT Christmas!!

Honestly, it was so special. We got to spend Christmas Eve with the awesome familia Oporto, and we had tons and tons of good food. Turkey, beef, pork (I LOVE the pork steaks they make here.), green beans, potato salad, papas duchezas (like tater tots), bread, soda, Pan de Pascua (fruit cake, which I actually really like), ice cream cake, and everything else under the sun. They gave each of us a nice pen with our name engraved on it, and we performed a funny skit for them. Leslie and her family also bought and gave us presents earlier that day, (keep in mind that we just barely met these people a week ago), and I've enjoyed wearing some cute little Crocs around our heavenly apartment. Aren't the Chilean people so giving and Christlike and sweet?? I love them so much. Just a heads up- don't be weirded out if I kiss you all when I get home. They've been telling me for months that we Americans are very 'frio', or cold, and I'm finally starting to feel it. What is going to happen when I just have to shake hands with everyone again? Lame.

Did my first mini-cambio this week and loved it. I love feeling like I can be more of a help to the Hermanas and to the Lord. Also had our first leaders meeting today and that went really well. We got to play soccer after, and my inner thighs are going to be sore again... I should also start keeping a tally of how many elders have asked me "So are you the Hermana that did that rap?"... Oh boy.

Here is my cool, non Christmas related story of the week. After a coordination meeting with our ward leaders (Collao really is AWESOME for coordinating with the missionaries), one of the primary leaders called us and asked if we could help them out. They were practicing for the Primary Program and asked if we could play the piano for them. Obviously both of us play the piano, and usually I'd cede to Hermana Call in these circumstances, because she plays better than I do. I felt the urge, though, so I volunteered to play. We practiced a little with them, and then Sunday came. The kids sang really well, it was nice to play the piano for them, and we had some cute little talks. I felt the Spirit really strongly!

The Primary President was the last one to stand up, and she began speaking about the importance of teaching our children and of the Primary organization. All of the sudden, I hear her say the name Aurelia Spencer Rogers- I almost didn't recognize it at first because she pronounced it a bit differently, but I focused in a little harder and she was retelling the story of how the Primary was founded. People, that is my great-great-great Grandma!! I've read her journal two or three times and I know her story almost by heart. I was shocked- even in Utah, I had never heard anyone talk about her or the founding of the Primary.

It was such a beautiful testimony to me of the reality of Elijah's promise. Our hearts and lives and legacies really do turn to our fathers, and I FELT that in such a real way. There I was, sitting in sacrament meeting on the other side of the world, hearing about my very own family and the influence that they've had on generations. Even more than that, I was participating in the very work that she loved so much, and I felt so close to her and so amazed at the way the Lord works His plan.

We had lunch with the Primary President and her family that day, and I explained the story to them. The Hermana was so, so, happy. She told me that she'd had a whole different talk planned, but at 2 in the morning that day, had felt like she needed to change it. Doesn't the Lord really just direct our lives? We see it every day here, and I can't even tell you how many genuine, real-life miracles we see as we serve in the Lord's work. You can see them too! Open your eyes, pick up your feet, and get moving on the path the Lord has laid out for us. It is only when we get ourselves moving in the Lord`s cause that we can really see His All powerful hand in our lives, and I invite each of you to ponder on how you can do that just a little more.

I love you all- so, so much.

I pray for you daily.

Hermana Oldroyd


Going running on our mini cambio with Hermana Skirvin






Is that a Christmas miracle, or what?? Who would have thought that these two cousins would be bringing the Glazier Christmas spirit together on the other side of the world

Erica, Kata Oporto, Hermana Call





Javiera, Hermana Call, Sofie, Lucas, and Leslie. They're the ones that gave us the Croc shoes! Leslie and Javi aren't members, so we're teaching them right now. So fun!!



Another Christmas miracle!!! That white elephant game turned out pretty well for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment