December 23, 2013

a Palace

Familia y amigos!

Ok, we are short for time once again. Numbered list?

1. Rode in a double decker bus. Always have wanted to do that! Found out, however, that you get more carsick on the second level. Blech.

2. We were at lunch with a member this week and explaining that Hermana Call and I had been compaions in the MTC. I made some comment like, "Well, we've changed and become more Chilean since then!" And Hermana Call came back "Well isn't that right! Remember when we had a companionship inventory (part of the weekly missionary routine- we chat about our relationship as companions, etc.) and I had to ask you to hug me every night so that I wouldn't be touch deprived? Well now you're putting your arm around me in district class, hugging me all the time, and I'm thinking "What happened to Hermana Oldroyd?"  So apparently I'm a LOT more touchy feely than I used to be.

3. Our apartment is a PALACE. Oh my, it is nicer than Liberty Square. It is new, new, new, all carpeted, with nice closets, lots of rooms, and a balcony. I'm still in shock.

4. Barrio Collao is FANTASTIC. The members have received us like traveling royalty, "We haven`t had Hermanas in 20 years!! We love you!!" and they're excited to start working more with the missionaries. We are going to have a TON of success here.

5. Our ward mission leader is the BEST!!!! Hermano Oporto recently reactivated, and all of his family are recent converts. His daughter is a ward missionary now, his wife always wants to send us home food, he has a car and drives us to visits, and he is all about uniting our efforts with the ward. He makes me think of how my Grandpa must be over there in Provo. Ohh, heaven sent ward mission leader. It makes the work so much better!!

6. That isn't to say that I still don't love Nico and Mary with all, all, all of my heart. We got to travel back to Parral for a Christmas devotional this Sunday, and it was a Christmas miracle for us. I sang Mary, Did You Know solo, (almost hyperventilated in the bathroom before, but after walking around the chapel and praying, it went perfectly and I felt really good about it. It was a good experience!), played the piano for some songs, and got to see lots of people. Mary and Nico came, and the first thing they said to me was "Have you heard the news? We changed the name of the baby. We're naming her Erica." Oh my dear people. My heart just almost exploded with love, humility, gratitude, and amazement at the way the Lord works with the heart of the people.

That is the big spiritual thought of the week. The longer I spend on the mission, the more I come to understand the nature of God and how He really loves. Life is so huge, we love, and hurt, and joy so much, and all of that happens on a larger scale for God. It is so humbling to me and I love Him so much.

Merry Christmas!!

Hermana Oldroyd

saying goodbye
 

 

 
 
saying goodbye
 
Erica and Hermana Call
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment