December 16, 2013

Our Faces gave it Away

AWWWWww!!!!!!

Family and friends, it is that time of year.

That is, it is that time of the month where everything changes and all of the sudden, I have to leave Estación. I felt super calm this whole week, not really thinking a lot about transfers. Every once and a while, those little worry moments, but nothing big. Sunday night, we were waiting in Nico and Mari's house (ward mission leader and his wife) for Ana Maria to arrive so that we could teach her a lesson. Just about the same time that Mari was saying "Don't goooooo!!! You can't leave us!! I want you to meet our baby!!" we got a call from President Arrington.

Hermana Gutierrez answered the phone, and after a little "hello and how are you?", she passed me the phone. "Hi, President! How are you?" "Doing well, Hermana. How are you?" Good question. We've got President on the phone, the night before transfers... "Doing really well! What can I do for you?" "Well, Hermana, we want to give you another assignment. We want to call you as a Leader Hermana here in zona Andalien with Hermana Call. Would you be willing to accept that assignment?"

Of course I would!!! I LOVE the Lord, and I LOVE serving in His work, and I'm so, so much more than excited to start working over there. Not to mention that Hermana Call and I have already been companions (MTC, remember?), and it'll be a blast working with her. I told him that I would be happy to do it, and when he asked me if I was worthy to accept the assignment, I told him that I was. I may not be a perfect missionary, but I am worthy.

Hermana Leader Trainer, or some title like that, is basically like a zone leader for the sisters. We do exchanges with them, give training classes sometimes, are more involved in the leadership of the mission, attend some meetings, etc. Hermana Call has already been a leader for a while, so she'll be teaching me how it all goes. We'll also be opening a new sector in Collao, so if I understand that right, it means that we'll be no Area Book, no map, and no previous Hermana work to go off of. I think the Elders have already been there, but we'll be accompanying them in the sector now. At least, that is what I understand as of now. I'll give you the real update next week!

Hanging up the phone, you just should've seen Nico, Mari, and Hermana Gutierrez's faces. Oh, it was terrible. "So, you're leaving? "Yep..." President had asked me not to tell anyone except my companion until the next day, but our faces pretty much gave everything away to Nico and Mari. Ana Maria came, and we taught the lessons just like normal, but Nico and Mari also pulled out a little Christmas present and handed it to me. "Open it now", they said.

There, nestled in a little popsicle stick frame, was a pair of little gold earrings, a pearl bracelet, and a handmade card. Pulling the little gifts out one by one, I could see that Mari had carefully painted, glued, and arranged the frame to surround one of our passalong cards of Christ, and had written in Sharpie marker on top "Feliz Navidad". I started getting emotional, and Mari said to me "And that bracelet is special... I wore that for our wedding. See?" And she showed me the picture of their wedding day. I cried, and we made plans to go back and say goodbye tonight. I love Nico like the crazy, rebellious, loving, law-breaking brother that I never had, and Mari has a very special place in my heart.

Coming back to the house, we knelt to pray, and Hermana Gutierrez said just about the most beautiful prayer I have ever heard. She thanked the Lord for a lot of very specific things that we have learned together, things I've helped her with, etc. and there we were, sobbing again. Ohh, part of me is just sick inside at the thought of leaving Estación and all the people I have come to love so, so much. But I know that the Lord's will is in it, and that everything will be ok.

I hope you all are well!! I love you and look forward to talking with a few of you on Christmas!!

Hermana Oldroyd

 
 
Making Pan Eterno (an emergency type bread that lasts for months- you'd like it, Dad!) for a Relief Society Activity
 
 
 
Hermana Oldroyd Sandwich! Oh, Pato (Patricia Perez) and Mari, that pregnant woman... I love them!
 
 
 
These pants are all the rage right now. They're usually a really flashy pattern and kinda seethrough, but Hermana Miskin and Peterson and I decided to go a little more conservative and buy solid colors. Matchy!!
 
 
 
 
 
Hermana Christine and her skinned rabbit!!! I know it tasted good, but it looked a little unappealing in the pot..
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment