November 26, 2013

9 Months Out!

Allllrighty...




Crazy week, with Hermana Gutierrez in Concepción for a new-missionary training session. She was there for three days, so I stayed in Centro with Hermana Miskin and Peterson. We had a really good time, and ran around everywhere trying to cover four sectors with one big Gringo companionship. Played piano for a special musical number in our district conference with them, and they sang beautifully. Ooh, and I forgot how nice it feels to play prelude/postlude. Sister Fisher- thank you for teaching me how to play piano, and Mom- thank you for making me stay in there until I could play all the hymns. It brought a great peace to my soul to hear some of those familiar hymns that aren't quite as common here in Latin America. On the other hand, we have La Luz de La Verdad and Oíd El Toquid de Clarin, which I am going to miss like crazy when I get back to the states. We sing them just about every Sunday!

Hermana Gutierrez is really progressing! She is starting to take more initiative in lessons, she hasn't cried hardly at all this week, and she was a champion this week in some mini divisions that we had to do. Even though she only has three weeks here, she bucked up, took a member with her, and went to teach a lesson all by herself when we were crunched for time. She also went out contacting with the other new hermanas while we gringas were practicing our song, and she came back so excited! "Hermana, I taught THEM how to contact! Remember how you taught me to stand in front in people that are walking fast in the street? They didn't know that, and I was like, What are you Moms teaching you?" hahaha Oh, I laughed and laughed, and felt very glad for her. She's a good one.

This Saturday and Sunday we had district conference (hence the musical number), but we didn't have any investigators with us, and we were missing a lot of people from the branch. I sat on the bus to Parral, feeling a big discouraged and pondering on my mission. (Why so much pondering, you might ask? Well, in case you haven't been counting, this week is my 9 month mark. OH MY GOODNESS I HAVE ALREADY BEEN A MISSIONARY FOR 9 MONTHS???!! STOP IT!!! DON´T EVEN SAY IT!!! Don't you even dare start thinking about coming to pick me up, yet!!! Hold your horses, people!!!!) Well the point is that I thought for a moment, and then came to this conclusion.

(Quote from my study journal)
"It is moments like this when I show God what kind of  missionary I am. Will I lose the faith when the skies get gray? No! We work harder, we put our shoulder to the wheel, we set appointments and make calls and study and do contacts and do EVERYTHING we can to push God's work along. I will push to the end with a perfect faith that God will guide us in His work. I so much prefer to look forward with faith than to cast my eyes around wondering what I´m doing wrong. I love this gospel SO much. It is everything to me- my life, my love, my everyday walk and talk. It is my hope and anchor when life gets rough, my tender gift to those I love."

That is the truth, people. This is all my heart and soul, and I am SO happy here. I hope you are as well! All my prayers-

Yours,

Hermana Oldroyd
 
 
Hermana Gutierrez and Erica
 
Hermana Carmen Rosa, one of our best sisters. She is opening a little gift shop in her home, and we went to help her set up. I also learned how to make gift bags out of wrapping paper. Cool!!!
 

 
Mini Gringo Cambio! Recent convert from Cauquenes Centro- Would you blame me if I told you he reminded me so much of Grandpa Glazier that I cried in our lesson with him? It probably also made a difference that when we sang a hymn to him, we had some sweet harmony going on and the spirit was really strong. LOVE the gospel, and I LOVE knowing that my family will be together forever.
 

 
Yeah, I bought those sunglasses, but then Elder Dumm told me they were too big. Awwww. Thats ok, I´ll just burn my eyes out here while Ana Maria enjoys my sunglasses.
 
 
and Playing soccer.

No comments:

Post a Comment