May 20, 2014

Took you long enough

Well, we're still alive! There was no big earthquake, though we did have a couple little quakes.

Let's get to the good stuff and I'll tell you about my two teary moments of the week.

1. Happy tears. Hermana Marisol is the sister that washes our clothes, and about two weeks ago her grandmother passed away. We had the funeral in the chapel, and we sang a musical number for her. Just a couple days ago, she gave us a reference of one of her cousins, who had attended the funeral and was fascinated by the church. She decided that she couldn't die without really knowing what we believed and why she felt something so different there. We went right away, and even though she wasn't home the first time, we found her the second time. As we entered into Yanet's home, she said "Well, it took you long enough! Let me introduce myself."

She went on to tell us that she believes in God, but feels like she has lost focus on the spiritual side of life and that her soul feels dirty. She said she doesn't just want to be in any church- she wants to have the fullness of the truth, wants to return to the faith and purity that she had before. When we talked to her about baptism, about prayer, she said "Hm, you have the same central beliefs that I have seen in all the other churches. It seems like it all started with the same teachings, and then some people just went and changed a few little things." Well that, my friend, is basically the story of the Restoration. Yesssss!!! The spirit was so strong, and it was so obvious that we had what she had been waiting for. She got emotional, and I cried tears of joy.

She came to church, and knows half of the ward! We'll have to marry her and help her husband stop playing soccer on Sunday, but I have such a good feeling about them.

2. Sad tears. On the other hand, we woke up Sunday morning and saw a call from Sabu at 1:30 in the morning. (I can't remember if I've told you about her or not... She is fantastic. She and her son, Sami want to get baptized but also have to tackle the marriage/divorce problem first. Her husband is menos activo, and they've lived complicated lives. Very complicated.) Well, we called her back and noticed that something was wrong, so we went over there before church to talk. She was distraught, crying, and went on to tell us that her "husband" hadn't come back from work on Friday, and that she just knew he had gone back to his other woman and was cheating on her. Knowing a bit of their story, it is believable. We listened to her and watched her sob, and I felt a heavyness in my heart that I haven`t felt for a long time.

It would be one thing if they were always fighting and he's just a bad person- but once again, there is the balance and there is more than one side to every story. Zeb is a good man, and she loves him, but he does not love her and just lives with her to be a good father to Sami. He is starting to remember how it feels to feel the spirit and his guilt is hitting him hard- he knows he is living in sin but he feels like he's in way over his head. As for Sabu, it isn't the first time this has happened and she refuses to leave him. She blinds herself to reality and it just HURT to see and feel all of that. Those were my sad tears of the week.

More than sad, it just hurt and made me frustrated, because all this pain happens when we don't live the commanements. Forgive my sincerity in what I'm about to say, but I just wanted to scream or swear or kick something, because I just love them and I want them to open their eyes and live the commandments of God!!

Oh, the patience that God has with us.

Time is up, my dear people. I love you!!!

Hermana Oldroyd

Matchy matchy for district class. Why not?





Let's just say that a companion DOES have a large influence. Hermana Lopez started hinting at me that I should layer my hair, then the other hermanas jumped in and started asking if I've ever had bangs, which I never have. After thinking about it a little, I realized that if I didn't try it now, I never would! So we had a little hair-cutting party one night and Hermana Page, who studied this stuff, gave me a makeover.





No comments:

Post a Comment