June 2, 2014

Everything in the hands of the Lord



My dear people!
Good news. I'm staying in Tomè with Hermana Lòpez!! This will be one of the few times I actually get to stay with my companion for more than one cambio. Super happy about it, since we get along super well, she makes me laugh, and we work very well together. This is almost a guarantee that I'll finish my mission in Tomè, which is also very good news. Reino Celestial!! (Um, in English that would be Celestial Kingdom. The work here is like a dream.)
This week we had lots of special events- which was fun and crazy at the same time. On Wednesday there was an Hermana Conference in Chillan, which meant waking up at 5, traveling at 6, and arriving at 9. This was the first time they've ever had all of the hermanas of the mission all together in the same place, and it was a great conference. They addressed topics like depression, trusting in the Lord to fulfill our divine purpose, Hermana Lopez and I did an activity and class-ish thing about communication and trust within a companionship, and my cousin sang a beautiful musical number!! She even made me cry- it was like I saw a flashback of our whole lives growing up. Playing Barbies together, tromping through my Grandma's orchard pretending to be explorers, having sleepovers, going to BYU together, and now here... I realized that the Lord really does have a plan for us as cousins, friends, spiritual sisters and co-participant in the Lord's work. I need to appreciate her more and learn more from her. She has grown so much and is an incredible woman. How good to see her again.

During the Conference, Hermana Lopez and I were in charge of a game/activity. We gave each companionship a ballon and had them write all their happy things about the Mission on the balloon. THen, we yelled out two body parts, and between the two companions, they had to sustain their balloon. It was HILARIOUS. (Thanks for the idea, Mom!) Talked about unity, communication, finding happiness together as a companionship. They loved it!!
One of the strongest moments for me was when Hermana Arrington spoke- she hit right on the head all of the common problems that Hermanas have. In one moments, she described a conversation she had with an Elder. He told her that they'd given all of their effort that week, and even still, no one came to church- even still, he said he felt fine, because he had left everything in the hands of the Lord. Hermana Arrington got emotional and left a little silence there, then said "I have never heard an Hermana say that." As we all sat and processed what she had said, the Spirit was so strong. If we allow our own self-criticalness and high expectations to overtake our trust in the Lord and His Atonement, we lose touch with the joy of His work and may find ourselves very discouraged.

 I pray that this never happens to any of you dear women or brothers- I lived part of my life and mission feeling that way and there is such a liberating difference in trusting PERSONALLY in the mercy and interposition of the Lord for each one of us in our daily efforts.
To contrast my comment about hyperactiveness last week, I also remembered this week the grand importance of having my personal pondering time. Sitting in so many buses reminded me of my Estaciòn time, when we traveled about 3 hours a week just to go to district class. I loved that time and treasured it, but kind of lost that vision for a while. It really does bring me closer to the Lord when I can just sit still and think about Him- think about what He wants for me, what I've learned about Him, how I've seen him play a part in my life.
One of our miracles was with Yacqueline. She's been separated from her husband for 16 years and is now living with another man, and she finally decided that she really wants to be baptized! (We've been teaching her about a month now. She loves church.) We accompanied her on Friday to start her divorce process, which usually lasts 2-3 months. We went to the family judgment place and the man told her that the first step was talking to her husband, because if they could come together, everything would be easier. We walked outside of the building and Yacqueline said to us "That is my husband on the corner."

Umm, we just looked at each other, thinking "No... Really? Talk to him!!" She talked to him as he walked by and he didn't have any problem- in fact, he came with us and they started the papers right away. If everything goes well, she`ll be divorced by the end of this week. Can you say MIRACLE??

On a less spiritual note, my house is covered in ants. We've got to do something about that...

I love you all :)
Hermana Oldroyd

Eating lunch at home and watching the 80s movie `Gods Plan For Us` Ohh yes, man on a horse talking about the Plan of Salvation hahahaha

This is NOT a normal mission conference lunch.....
This is how I feel about finding ants in my sugar. NOT GOOD. stinking ants.
 
Paloma Fierro Guzman. I see myself in her so much- She is 10 but an incredible little girl. Love her so much
 

No comments:

Post a Comment