March 31, 2014

What inspires you?

Well, quite a few little events to share.

1. Had my first experience with Essential Oils on a mini cambio this week! I had a cold all week and this Hermana had brought her mint, (or something like that), oil with her. She told me to spread it below my nose before going to sleep to help me breath, and boy, does that stuff burn! But I did breath better, I suppose.

2. In that same health line, we had a little scare in our house this week. Even though I usually sleep like a rock, I woke up the other night at 4:30 in the morning and looked around a bit to find what had woken me up. After my brain unfogged a bit, I saw Hermana Aguera lying silently on the floor in front of the bathroom, not moving. I got down and went to ask her what was wrong, and found her in extreme pain. She had been up since 2, vomiting every 30 minutes, and as I talked to her and asked her what she thought was wrong, she said "I don't want to think what I'm thinking..." Turns out that her brother and cousin both had appendicitis, and she felt really intense stomach pains and worried that it might be the same. We called the mission nurse, and kept in contact with her for the next several hours, and at one point she even instructed me on how to do a preliminary test to see if it really was an issue with her appendix. I think that will be one of my Forever Mission Memories- Hermana Aguero on the floor and having to pressure her in the stomach in an attempt to check her for Appendicitis. She has medication now to help her get rid of some little crystals in her kidneys, and we're keeping a close eye on her.

3. We have a university in our sector called University Bio Bio, and this week a couple students decided to protest something. We were walking back from lunch and saw a big stack of black smoke coming from the University, and come to find out they had lined the bridge with flaming tires. Want to know what the only way to get home is? Crossing the bridge. Luckily we got there right as the whole chaos was only starting, so we crossed anyway and noted the several students with nylons around their heads, running around and organizing things. Interesting.

4. We had to get home fast another afternoon, so we grabbed a bus and I asked the driver "Can you take us both for 500 pesos?" (The buses here have a certain route, and we were only taking the bus for a very short part of that route, so if you ask them they'll usually let you ride for partial price.) He looked at me and just started laughing, then said to me "Who taught you to do that? You're not Chilean!!" And he just laughed and laughed. He even honked and waved at us when he saw us in the street a couple days later.

5. We were teaching Fernando about the Restoration the other day and asked him to look up Ephesians 2:20 in his Bible. I don't know which version he has, but when he read it, I followed along in mine and was shocked to see that his Bible completely cuts out the word Prophet. It just startled me to see so personally the manipulation of the gospels clear and precious doctrines. This weekend is General Conference (Ahhhhhh my last one in the mission.....) and I hope we're preparing ourselves to hear from our living prophets. This is another principle I'm still learning here- the importance of preparation. Whether it be for a mini cambio or a conference or the Sacrament or even just a normal day of proselyting, our dedication to the preparation will directly influence the nature of our results. The Spirit teaches us when we prepare ourselves to be taught. Pray, fast, write down questions, study about the value of prophets (they are soooo important!!!), try to find the right environment in which to watch the conference. Go to all the sessions that you can. This really is God that is about to talk to us, and I hope you won't take that lightly.

I love you each so much. This work isn't mine or yours, but let me just promise you that it is mine and your responsibility to take a part in it. We talked to a man in the street today that knows a member in our ward, and what he said really impressed me. Supposedly this member had invited him to come to church before, but obviously the man wasn't ready for that on the first invitation. (That is ok! Success is in the invitation! Wait for the second part, though.)  He did, however, invite the member to tell him a little more about the church. The member responded, "Well, you've got to come and see!" People. It cannot be that way. You may not live a missionary schedule, but you must always be ready to share a little portion of what you know with the people that surround you. They need this.

Think about what doctrine or doctrines are most important to you personally as members of the church. What really inspires you? I promise you that as you study in your mind the truths that have most affected you, you'll have the opportunity to share that with someone in your path. In Preach My Gospel it tells us that true intelligence means taking an eternal truth and teaching it in a way that a child can understand it- just so, member missionary work is taking eternal truths and explaining them in a natural, daily way that will help a stranger understand it. I promise you that they will not only understand, but will feel awake in them the desire to learn more, and that God will bless you for shining your light to His waiting children. Testimony is the most powerful tool you have! Just share what you love and feel- there is nothing unnatural about that. And don't even tell me you can't be a missionary just because you live in Utah. If that is true, I am never coming home.

I love you each soooo much, and I love the Lord. He is the most inspired Father, sending us just what we need to grow and learn and rejoice in our surroundings. Be happy! It is part of God's plan. He loves each and every one of you-

Hermana Oldroyd










Activity after Consejo, my first time ever paintballing! And on beautiful, green Chilean mountainside




Who knew I'd be such a natural? Oh wait, you mean I'm NOT supposed to shoot my own teammate 4 times in the head after he`s already surrendered? Ohhhhhhhh, I was so embarrassed afterwards. Seems like the mix of that big helmet impeding my vision (I couldn`t tell if I'd hit him the first couple times)  and the adrelaline of paintball really went to my head in the wrong way.... Oh boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment