March 3, 2014

One year anniversary!

Hey!

I've been on the mission for more than a year! That is just a little crazy. On that day, Hermana Call and I hopped into a bakery (she always wants to do that, it is one of our little companionship jokes) and bought a piece of wedding cake for our one year anniversary. We had lunch with the Oporto family that day and pulled the cake out after, then went a little crazy with photos! The Oporto family somehow remembered that it was our year mark, too, and they had also bought us our favorite cake (Torta de Amor, it has layers of manjar, cream filling, and jam. Sooo good.) with candles and everything. They are so thoughtful.





We also went to visit one of the Relief Society sisters in the rest home on that day, and we sang and played the piano for her. She was very sweet and so were several other grandmas that came over to listen. Hermana Call and I discussed what kind of old people we want to be- she wants to die suddenly in a car crash when she is 75 years old, but I think I could be a Alzheimer grandma and live a long time, even if it was in a rest home. I'm a fairly patient person and I think I could handle diapers and the slow lifestyle- those grandmas just had such a touching spirit and we really appreciated being with them.

We gave a class to our Hermana Group about extending commitments, about the Less Active list that we have in our mission (in all of Chile now, actually), and about the Forget Me Not talk. That went well. One of our ice breakers was the "If your companion was a Disney princess, who would she be?" question, and Hermana Call said I would be Gisella, from Enchanted. Apparently I'm the innocent, world is rose colored type! haha

One of the crazy events this week was a surprise visit from Nico, Mari, Nicole and baby Erika. (Yes, it is spelled with a K. This is Latin America.) Last Monday I got a call from an unknown number, and when I picked it up, someone said "Hey! Do you know who this is?" and I knew right away- Mari! They told me they wanted to come to Conce to visit me and present their baby to me. At first they wanted to come on Sunday, because Nico had work on Monday, but I obviously can't take out work time just to visit and chat, so I told them I'd see what I could do and call them. Pondered on that a bit, and then Friday morning they called again, this time saying "We're on the bus! See you soon!" and it actually worked out perfectly. That day we had planned to be in the chapel working on the Less Active list for an hour, and then some Elders had asked us to play the piano for a musical number they`re doing in the next conference. We had our extra study our and two extra hours planned our previously to be in the chapel, so we were able to continue with plans, work, but also visit and chat with those beloved people.






Nico, Erica, Nicole, Erika, Mari (mother)



It was kinda crazy to see them again- I love them so much and was nervous to go pick them up and see them again. Baby Erika is beautiful and peaceful and so calm, and she also eats a lot. At least she takes after me in that!! They're doing alright even though there have been some difficulties in the branch, and I was so happy to hear that Nicole is going to receive a calling!! Young Womens, here we come. She was nervous and happy about it, and she promised that she`s taking care of Ana Maria.

I should start making a list- "Things I've learned from the Chilean people".  One that I pondered the most this week was the ability to love. They are so open hearted and so sincere and giving in their love, and I know I've changed after spending a year with them here. I hope that we are all loving like the Savior and serving with all our heart and might. Relief Society classes and church meetings aren't just for listening- they're to motive us to get up, get out, and go save the people that aren't here listening.

I love you all!!!

Hermana Oldroyd





Followed us all the way to the private beach.






Erica on a cambio with another sister, when she tries to step over the coffee table in between and . . .



not realizing the top is glass, sits on it and breaks it


No comments:

Post a Comment