January 20, 2014

Quite Imperfect

Ok!

For some real information for the first time in a couple weeks! Hermana Call and I are doing well here in Collao. I've been learning so much and I'm so grateful that we get to be here together. As we all know, however, sometimes our best learning is accompanied by a little bit of pain or stress. This week we had back to back mini-cambios to do, and at the end of the second mini-cambio, I was feeling a bit lost. Both of the hermanas I had been with were already doing really well, and didn't have any blatant needs. I'd tried to help them with some little things, but we had just a normal day, and by the evening, I was feeling a bit mediocre. As leaders, we can really only help elevate the other missionaries to our own level of being and our own level of work, and frankly, I'm still quite an imperfect missionary. I am not a perfect example, nor is the work in Collao perfect, and I felt a little discouraged with my inability to help them really progress.

We went over to have a FHE with the Familia Oporto, and after we had shared a lesson and had a little snack, Hermana Sandra said "Oh! I almost forgot!" and she came over to give me a hug. I thought she was expressing her gratitude for some guidance and support that we've shown to her daughter Kata, and she said, "I love you and I'm very proud of you.", and I thanked her as she hugged me. As she pulled away, she said "That was from your Mom." My dear people, if Hermano Oporto hadn't made me laugh right then, I would have just started crying in front of them. It was a tender mercy and a miracle of the Lord, reminding me that God is aware of us and will ALWAYS extend his loving hand towards us in our moments of need.

I am really feeling the love from the sisters in our group- we may not be perfect, but I feel like they really appreciate us, and that has also been a big blessing and comfort for me. Also, we find reasons to laugh every day! I stepped in wet cement the other day, and we had a fantastic ward Karaoke activity on Friday night. We had interviews with President this week also, and he is a great and inspired man.

More than anything, I have a huge testimony of the Lord's plan of salvation and the freeing power of the atonement. As I study my scriptures, the book Jesus the Christ, and listen to the Sunday School and RS classes on Sundays, it rings so true in my heart to know that I lived a life before this earthly one. I took a mini-burden of stress to sacrament meeting this week, and it just amazed me how I could really feel the sacrament lift that. It literally lifted- and I felt free and empowered to keep working and serving the Lord. I hope you're turning to Him in every trial, in every dark or dazzling moment- He loves us so dearly and has given everything for us.

I love you!

Hermana Oldroyd




Hermana Monica Puchi. She is one of my favorite members here- she's a returned missionary, is an English teacher, reads poetry, and is a Mom of all girls. She shares the gospel like no one else and is so, so brave and humble and sweet. I love her!!

 Lunch at President's house! Helped make a Peruvian dish. Hermana Vieda





Future temple site!!!!



Sometimes Hermana Call likes to give me random pieces of nature.... like a giant leaf as a hat.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment