October 29, 2013

You ARE bringing it!

People!

Hope that all is well over there. So much to say! Ana Maria got baptized this week, and everything went well with that. Even if she showed up just 5 minutes before the baptism was supposed to start and came 10 minutes late to sacrament meeting the next day (young people these days...), she was so excited and felt so good. Hermana Nájera and I sang Lead, Kindly Light acapella in her baptism, and that went well.



Also! Nicole called us last Monday night with important news- she told us that she had a really bad day, but that when she got home, she knelt to pray and ask for help. She said she felt the biggest surge of faith and hope, and that she had started seeing everything with new eyes. She has a new optimism, and even if life is still filled with drama, even if her family still doubts that she can handle being a Mormon, she felt it. She really felt it. I was so happy!!!!! I can't even describe it.

Hermana Berta sends saludos to all of you. She says to tell you that there is someone here in Chile that loves me a lot. She is such a dear- she is so loving, and so utterly thrilled to visit people with us. Lately she's even tried to show some extra love and care by baking us things- even if she burns them or fries the death out of the sopapillas, she always sends us home with a bag.

Let's mix up this letter a bit, shall we? Sometimes I feel like my letters are becoming more and more lame. I'm sorry. I think I'm just so involved with the missionary mindset that I may have lost touch with what will be a novelty to you, what you might like to hear, what might be important to say. Sometimes I'll think of things during the week and kick myself for not telling you, not sharing that scripture, not telling that funny story. I do my best!

The point is, this week I wrote a poem! It has been a looong time since I've done that, but we were on the bus going to our district class (about an hour long), and I felt the urge. I should title it, but I hate titling things. Think of it in a gospel/missionary work perspective, yeah? Here it is.

A little bit of sky.
They reach, wanting more,
wondering why,
how,
and what for.
They walk on,
ever on,
searching for a bit of sky.
How exalted,
you and I,
to know and breathe of heaven's air,
to know just how to lead them there-
with us,
a little bit of sky.

If then,
we see their faces fall,
how gently,
we must spread our borrowed feather wings,
to lift them up.
So that we all
in this are filled,
and find,
a little bit of sky.

Yep. There is that! Also, Hermana Nájera accidentally broke my camera, and the Elders were supposed to pass us more photos of the baptism, some activities we've done, etc. but they're late and our internet time is up. Sorry for the limited photos!

One more thing! Writing my best friend, chatting about missionary work. Wanted to share with all of you a little piece of encouragement that I shared with her. "Changing the general perspective of 'missionary work' is half the battle in bringing the gospel to all the world. You ARE bringing it! Being a missionary is being loving and good and a little bit brave in explaining just what makes you the person you are. That is all!"

I know that we can all be missionaries. That is what, in this last dispensation, the Lord has called each of us to be!  If we ever want to see the face of the Lord, we'd better get busy about preaching His gospel, because it just won't happen until we've done our part to bring His word to ALL of His children. Do it with your words, with your love, with your lives. Our message will not fail. I love the Lord with all my heart, and I love each of you so very much. The greatest joy comes from working with the Lord in His work and glory, and I wish that we could each be just a little better in doing that. I pray for you all-

Hermana Oldroyd




Pato and Escarlett, those sneaky girls. They went and bought my exact same shoes two days after seeing mine. Twinners!
Nicole, me, Hermana Nájera, and Ana Maria. Bunch of 20 year old buddies, growing in the gospel together. Love it!

Trying to be an 8 cow missionary!! (Name that old church movie)


 Zona Parral

No comments:

Post a Comment