October 8, 2013

Moral of the Story

Hello dear people!

To begin, I just want to apologize if my last email was negative or pessimistic instead of uplifting and informative. Thinking about it a bit after, I realized it may have seemed that way. Perhaps I'll capitalize on this opportunity, though, and add a couple Morals Of The Story.

Moral of the Story 1. Every person has a hidden pain. Don't ever fall into the trap of thinking that this member, that person has a perfect life and doesn't understand what it is to have a hard time. It is so important that we show love and consideration for EVERYONE, not just those who are sad, happy, our close friends, etc.

Moral of the Story 2. The mission is not all baptisms and yummy Chilean lunches. We see lots of problems, we struggle with lots of questions, we feel pain along with the people that we love here. But you know? That is ok. That is life! It always has its good and bad, and it just so happens that we get to take an active part in the good and bad of hundreds of people every week.. Perhaps that is why we grow and mature in the mission- we live the lives of hundreds of people in only 18 short months. It is quite the eye opener, but quite the eternal blessing.

Moral of the Story 3. I know I said this already, but I'll say it again for emphasis. The gospel is ALWAYS the answer. No matter what the question, it is ALWAYS the way to find real and lasting happiness. I know it because I've seen it in my life, in my pre-mission life, in the lives of many people I love here and back at home. Stick to that iron rod and you will never be unhappy for very long. The Lord promises a plan of Happiness, and when we're not happy, it is because in some small way, we're not following the plan.

Ok! As for this week, we had a couple interesting twists and turns, as always. First off, my companion might have Tuberculosis. Think that is just a good mission joke? Nope, think again. One of her old companions just got really sick and was discovered to have active, and fairly advanced TB. Considering that the disease is contagious, we had to hike ourselves to Concepción on Friday to have her tested for the disease.

The good and bad of this event: BAD- We missed a whole day of work, and it was so painful. We had to get up at 5 in the morning to catch a bus there, and there were no buses back to Cauquenes at the end of the day. We took a bus to Chillan, waited there, then took another to Cauquenes, then the usual colectivo (taxi) to Estación. Wheww! Oh, and there were no taxis at that hour in the morning, so we had to walk all the way to Centro. Boo. Oh, and the big bad? Even after 8 clinics and hospitals, none of them had the TB test. I think the latest news is that we´re having it shipped from the states.

This is how we feel at 6 in the morning, waiting for our bus to Conce.
 
 


GOOD- I got to see Hermana Call, my old MTC companion, and a couple other Hermanas in the office. We also had Domino's pizza for lunch, and that was wonderful. I was also present when then delivered my package!! Woohoo for spring skirts and Oreos from Mom, letters from the fam, and pictures from the Primary. I remember drawing those pictures, and I felt so privileged and touched to be the recipient, 12 years later.

 Drawings from some of our Primary kids, to Erica

General Conference thoughts- Ahh, so good. We watched it on a projector in our little chapel, and I've got to admit that I was a little bummed that I didn't get to see it in English. I understand 99 percent of what they're saying, but I did miss the apostolic voices and expressions. I always go into Conference with the question "What do I need to do to become to person the Lord wants me to be?" and in Elder Packer's talk I felt really impressed that I need to learn the scriptures better. Any advice for me on how to do that??



My big conference experience was Sunday morning. I was finishing writing something from Elder Maynes' talk, (which was really good), when all of the sudden, something was different. I looked up at Elder Scott, paid a little more attention to what he was saying, and realized what the difference was. It was his voice. His voice!! I knew that some  of the apostles did their own recordings, but had not thought much about it, and I was so, so touched to finally hear a voice that I recognized. I bawled for about the first half of his talk, just basking in his slow, loving tones.

Thinking more about it, I imagined what it'll feel like to someday hear the voice of the Lord. I had grown up my whole life hearing the voices of the apostles and prophets, and I was bummed to miss them even for one short conference. Our earthly life is such a small, but vital part of our eternal existence, one in which we do not directly hear the voice of the Lord. We knew it in the eternities before and hearkened to His pre-earthly counsel, but now other voices may distract us from the plan that He gave us. Someday soon, though, we'll hear His voice again. Will we know it?

In John 10:4 it says that those who have loved Him, followed Him, striven to be like Him in this life will indeed know His voice. (Ok, well it doesn't actually say that. But His sheep know His voice, and that is my interpretation of how we may become His sheep.) I know the Lord, I love Him, and I'm so grateful for the voices of his prophet and apostles to live and guide us. I know that you each had some ideas of things you could do or change, and I invite you to really do it!!

I love you all. (See the picture I drew you?? I've been feeling more artsy lately, considering that we make lots of thank you cards and birthday cards to show love for the members.)



Love!
Hermana Oldroyd 

Attacking the mold in our house.... Oh Elders, why did you never clean the house??? We're under way, though, and with a little more help next we should be in good shape.
 
Yeah!!! Still a soccer fan, Syd.
 
Visiting people with Hermana Berta
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment