July 1, 2013

Oh, Henri!

Oh my dear people,

One of the biggest weeks of my mission? I think so. Henri got baptized!! Thank you so much for all of your thoughts and prayers. The week was a normal one- calling him, verifying that he hadn´t smoked, passing by to fill in his baptismal form, picking up the baptismal clothes from Elder Brown, etc. Henri invited us over for lunch on Thursday, and when we went over he had bought a pre-made chicken from a negocio, a salad of celery and tomatoes, bread, and a premade dessert. He had also purchased the plates and glasses the day before in Concepción. What a sweetheart. We called members to give talks, be witnesses, etc. and everything was almost ready! We´d planned to have the baptism at 9:00, after the ward activity that we were planning (which started at 6).



One small detail- Hermana Peterson received permission from President Humphrey to return for Henri´s baptism, but if we had it at 9:00 she wouldn´t be able to come. Chuuuuta. (As the Chileans would say.) Super last minute, we switched everything around and fixed everything to start at 5:30. At about the same time, one of our talks canceled on us, not to mention that this is also the weekend and we still have to plan on which investigators we´re going to bring to church and how we´re going to organize all of that. Friday night was perhaps the most stressed I´ve ever been in my life. Just in the climax of trying to find another talk, I had one of those little thoughts that said "Call Francisco Cortez". He is a returned missionary, super busy with studies and work, but we called him and he agreed to come give the talk. What a tender mercy!

Saturday came, and I could hardly believe it! We ran around, not quite as frantically as headless chickens, but almost. We´d made the rice crispies the day before for our activity, and so we cut up those, grabbed our dusty pairs of jeans, grabbed the baptismal clothes, grabbed our cameras, and got ourselves out of the house. We arrived at the church early, which was good, because Henry also came earlier than planned. We showed him the font, explained what was going to happen, etc. He was nervous, and so were we, but I kept on using my typical words "Perfecto" and "Buenissimo". (That was one of our discussions before the baptism- I was trying to convince us all that we didn´t need to be so anxious, and was spouting encouraging phrases at us all. Henri teased me a bit because I always say things are "Buenissimo" or "Perfecto".)

Guess who else arrived early? Henri's ex-wife, Maria, and his son Fabián. Also Maria´s son Octavio and his girlfriend. We had encouraged him many times to invite his family to his baptism, but he never gave us a real affirmative, so I was surprised to see them enter the chapel! We all introduced ourselves, and since we had a lot of extra time while Henri was changing, we gave them a tour of the chapel. They loved all the paintings in the hallways, and we answered questions and explained that we worship God, not Joseph Smith. She seemed relieved after that.



Hermana Peterson arrived at about 5:20, and we had time for just a few photos before the baptism started, right on time at 5:30. We began in the chapel, and I played the opening hymn. Hermano Tomas, still with his earbuds in, like always, conducted the meeting. Francisco gave his talk, then Hermana Peterson and I did a special musical number, "Hazme Andar en la Luz". Another mission miracle? Not afraid to sing solos anymore. We left the chapel for the baptismal font, and the Bishop baptized Henri. I thought I´d cry my eyes out, but I just sat and thought about it all.

The rest of the program went well, and then we had the activity. It started late, as always, but Henri and his family all stayed for the activity and we had the chance to speak with Maria. She is super sincere and expressed her amazement at the change she´s seen in Henri. It was also very obvious that she still loves him- perhaps it is unmissionary of me to include that detail but I felt for her. I´m secretly hoping that the situation between them is such that we can teach her- I could see her progressing rapidly with just a little help.

The activity went really well- it was a Night of the Americas, and everyone had a great time. They loved our dance, Cotton Eye Joe, and the Rice Crispies were also a big hit. I left that activity so very very happy!! My dear Lirquen ward, Henri's baptism, my sweet companion, everything was so good.

In our jeans and T-shirts.... Wow, you should have seen the looks we got! The ward hardly recognized us, but it was necessary because of our sweet Cotton Eyed Joe dance that we did. They all loved it!!




That night I also pondered on the not-so-happy things that have happened this week. Elsa, the mom of Alexys and Nicole, stopped by the house of a member this week with the Book of Mormon and pamphlets in hand, and asked her to tell us that she doesn´t want us to come by anymore. Apparently her brother got really sick and the member thinks some of Elsa´s friends from her church suggested that God was punishing her for listening to us. We also got a text message from Elizabet, (don´t worry, we don´t text yet. We do receive them once in a while.), one of our super sincere investigators that was going to come to church this Sunday. She said that her husband was angry with her for agreeing to go to church, and that it would be better if she just stays with the beliefs she has now. Lots of big emotional events this week, and Saturday night it all came together.

I was so pleased about Henri, but at the same time it felt so natural and expected that he should be baptized. Sunday was the climax of all these thoughts and emotions. As he went up to the stand to be confirmed a member, I looked at him and the hands upon his head, and I thought about all that it meant. I thought of Dad and all the blessing he´s given me in my life, and THAT was when I really lost it and started crying. It is so real, this gospel, this path that Christ has laid out for us. Priesthood power? I´ve never felt is so strongly as in that moment. Baptism is one of the most natural, the most precious and sacred landmarks in our lives, and I know that there were many more rejoicing with me that day.

Time is up- I love you all so much!! Take care all.

Hermana Oldroyd

Thought of Mom and Kirsten when I saw her in this shirt.... Kirsten´s kind of phrase and Mom´s mission home!
 
Hermana Marta!! She is Hermana Yanet Acuña Solis´ mom, and the sweetest thing. The other day we helped take her groceries to her house, then washed their dishes because Yanet is pregnant and the city is renovating their house. Crazy life! I complimented her on her hat, (the one she is wearing), and told her that I´d need to find one like it. Maybe four days later, she shows up to the activity with an extra bag, and had made these hats for us! Not only that, but we looked in the bag later and found two black wool skirts- super warm. When we asked her about the skirts on Sunday, she said they were Yanet´s from her mission, and that they don´t fit her anymore. Is anyone else aching on the inside??? Just thinking about the whole idea of having one of Yanet´s skirts, a hat that she made just for me, etc. makes me so overwhelmed with love for them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment