July 30, 2013

. . . dear, selfless people . . .

Dear family and friends,

We're back to list form, if you don't mind! Here are a few highlight Mission moments:

1. I love Chileans. Specifically Jocelyn. She continues to be as golden as possible! Turns out she's already been keeping a journal, that ever since she started reading the Book of Mormon she's also felt a greater desire to study the Bible and learn more about Christ, and that she looks up hymns on YouTube in her spare time. Wow. She and Enrique are really struggling economically, to the point where they aren't eating very much right now at the end of the month. Hermana De León and I have been praying for her a lot, and the other day she asked us after a visit (she always has good questions to ask) if we could do her a favor. Of course we can! She asked us if she could make lunch for us on Friday, and asked if we would invite Hermana Mena and Martos to come as well. My dear people, I just didn't know what to say. They don't have money for that. I continue to learn from these dear, selfless people, and I feel so blessed to know and serve them.



2. Hm, here is the embarrassing moment of the list. There we were, knocking doors, and a nice family let us in the talk with them. The Mom insisted that they serve us a "cafesito". Here in Chile, everything ends in "ito". It is a cute way of making everything more casual, everything more little. They only time that really puzzles me is when people use it in reference to God- "Diosito". Anyway. Cafesito applies to all sorts of warm drinks, so we explained that we don´t drink coffee or tea, but that herb teas are ok. She brought out a box, saying, "This is herb tea!" and I passed it to Hermana De Leòn, considering that the Latinas usually know more about tea than I do. She approved it, we drank a cafesito and had a good lesson with the family. The next day it occurred to us- was that really herb tea? After some thought, we decided to ask the Bishop/confess, if necessary. Aaaaaand, as it turns out, we definitely drank tea in front of a new investigator. Pucha. (Other Chilean phrase, like darn.) I broke the Word of Wisdom, people! I was so so so embarrassed. But we've repented of our ignorant sin, I promise.

3. We had a minicambio this week to accommodate ward council and some of the planned visits that we had. I was in between visits with Hermana Martos, and we were talking with a man in the street when all of the sudden... Bam! We saw a dog get hit by a car. And it was loud! Poor Hermana Martos, she was quite shocked. Needless to say, it was a first for me also.

4. For those of you who haven´t noticed the changing shape of my face, here is yet another confirmation of the mission weight gain syndrome. I split one of my skirts when I was leaning over!! Unbelievable. Ok, granted, it was only the inner liner of the skirt, but still. I even took a picture to show you.



5. Still don't like the hymn "God be with you `till we meet again." Our ward counselor chose it for the closing hymn on Sunday, and listening to my dear Lirquen ward sing it, knowing that we're two weeks before transfers, made me cry. Just a little, but I don´t know why we have a hymn like that to rub in goodbyes. I find it rather unnecessary.

6. Henry received the priesthood!!!! I can´t even express how happy I was so sit in the Bishop`s office with all the rest and watch them put their hands on his head. Of course, I cried a little bit again. He looked at me after and just smiled. What a good guy- the Elder's Quorum presidency has started taking him with them on visits, and he´s also going to work in Family History. I love him so so much.

7. We had interview with President this Tuesday! I really don´t have time to write about it, but I´ll just tell you that I felt uncomfortable in a house as nice as his. I don´t know what I´ll do when I get back to the States...



8. The pictures from the beach are from a miscommunication the morning of our interviews. The chapel wasn't open and it just happened to be right next to the beach, so we went! Finally! Oh, it was so gorgeous. Some future P-Day we´ll have to actually go spend some time there.



9. There is a little white board in our mission office that lists the names of all the missionaries who are coming or leaving the mission. Guess whose name is on there??? Glazier, A., with a little star because she´s a sister. Ahhh!!!! Get over here, cousin. Can´t wait to see you!!

I love you all dearly. Until next week!
Hermana Oldroyd








No comments:

Post a Comment