July 22, 2013

Humility

Dear family and friends,
This week began a bit slowly- by Thursday we had not found a single new investigator. We were being obedient, dilligent with talking with people in the street, etc. and I pondered what more we could do to show the Lord we were ready to find investigators. If I´ve improved or gained one thing on the mission, however, it is a constant faith in the Savior. I don´t remember if I shared this experience with you? It was a turning point for me in my mission, and in my life.

On June 4, I was studying in the morning, and read Alma 34: 31. I´ll quote a bit from my study journal:
"Now is the day of our salvation, when we work and serve for the Lord. Humility is recognizing that I am yet in His debt, that I am still in great need, and that I still have much good that I can give. I feel myself changing inside, becoming a woman, becoming more like my mother. I feel my foundation being built more firmly on the rock of Christ, and I feel my concept of my place in relation to Him becoming more clear. I am His and I am nothing without Him, but I know He calls and uses me to call to others. Look to Him first, my own heart and testimony second, and then take and turn those to bless others."
 
I know that I´m not a perfect missionary, and I know that I will always have things to improve, but I also know that the Lord loves me and wants us to succeed in this missionary work. After all, it is His work and glory. This security that I feel in relation to the Savior stayed with me even through a pretty mediocre week, and I found comfort in this knowledge that even though I´m not perfect I can still work and serve the Lord. I searched for what more we could do, but didn´t feel discouraged or extremely stressed. A little, of course, but I knew that the Lord was leading us to something, whether it be only a little personal growth, or whether it be a family of 9 on Saturday night.

Perhaps we didn´t find a family of 9, but on Friday we did find 5 new investigators- an amazing miracle. Two of those were the other half of a family that we´d found the week before- We´d met Constanza, a young mother, and on Friday we returned to find her pareja, Alexis, and her suegro, Chelo. Two others were a mother and daughter, Dolores and Claudia, and the fifth was a teen girl that really, really needed us to pass by and find her that night. We felt so very blessed, and I continue to feel very, very blessed to be teaching Jocelyn. I highly doubt I will find a more chosen and prepared person than her- she expressed a spiritual emptiness after having missed church last week because of sickness, said she wants to find a job so that she can begin paying tithing and contribute to the growth of the church, that she´s been sharing her feelings with her husband and that he finally agreed to pray with her, and that she´s counting the days until her baptism.

Jocelyn!!!! She came to the baptism  (young man named Jonathan) and couldn´t have been more excited. Everyone, please memorize her face. She is perhaps the best investigator I will ever have in my mision.

So so very grateful to have this perfect gospel as a part of my life. It is true.

I love you and pray for you all!!

Hermana Oldroyd

Although Erica's birthday isn't until August 11th, we sent her bday package early and told her to open it. It had some cold weather items in it.

At Sister Fuentez' home, rolling out the dough for Empanadas.


Enjoying the fruits of our labor

No comments:

Post a Comment