July 21, 2014

The Holy Ghost really is real

Dear people-

There are some goooooood things happening in Tomé. Let me tell you about just a few.

1. In our district class, Elder Clark taught us about the Spirit of Elijah. It was a different kind of class, and really expanded my understanding of that promise. President has taught us recently about the importance of the temple, especially the sealing ordinance. I understood that part, and we made lots of jokes about it... (On that note, Hermano Torres in our ward is always giving us marriage advice, not to mention that they played Single Ladies, Put a Ring On It in the street today, and I got a letter from my local Singles Ward today.... Oh no. This is not happening.) but the Spirit of Elijah is even more! Elder Clark told us that we should pray to find the people who`s ancestors are praying for us. Did that make sense?

 All those families on the other side of the veil that never met the missionaries are now ready and waiting to receive their temple ordinances, and that doesn't start until we knock the door of one of open-hearted descendants. They are praying for us, the missionaries, but are not just leaving it at that. They literally work by our side to prepare hearts and open doors to the living generation, so that their great-grandchildren can help them unlock the door to the heavens through restored temple ordinances. The Lord is hastening His work on both sides of the veil, and I want you to know that those dear spirits are READY. I have worked with angels more than once on my mission. Seen them, felt them, seen the influence they have, and now I know why. How important it is that we study and understand the prophecies of old.

2. La Familia Mora. Ohhhhh my, they are the best family I have ever taught in my mission. Want to know how we found them? Tómas went to play soccer on the church court with his cousin, and the Young Men invited them to participate in their mutual activity. One of them, Fabian Alarcón, invited them to come to church the next day, and they came! Tómas came alone the next week as well, and his Young Men`s leader grabbed us and said "Go teach this boy. He is golden."

Tómas is 13, and is a suuuuuper smart, sincere boy. We went to teach him, and also got to meet his two older sisters, Myra (20 years old) and Yesy (24 years old). They were open and interested, mostly because Tómas liked it so much. As we've gone along teaching them, they surprise me with how quickly they understand the gospel, and how willing they are to apply and defend it. They're already preaching the gospel to their friends, Tómas changed his phone background to the cover of the Book of Mormon, and they've already visited all the church websites. They always read their homework, always say sincere prayers and ask God if this message is true, and always serve us cookies and juice when we go by. I just want to cry every time we enter their house!

Yesy and Myra came to church for the first time yesterday, and really liked it. They wore skirts, paid attention in the classes, and to be honest? There were about 3 different members that thought they were the new missionaries instead of investigators. The members received them with open arms and showed them a ton of love and concern. One man that has never worked with us before came up to me and said "I feel a really special spirit from them. Can you organize something this week to come teach them in my home? I want to help."
If everything goes well, they'll be baptized on the 9th of August. Pray for them!

3. One of our miracles this week was the ward temple trip. We thought it'd be a complicated day for us, since 44 of our most active members weren't available to accompany us, but we called lots of others and did everything we could. At the end of the day, we were surprised to see that we had done about double the work of a normal day, and all of it with members. It was an incredible blessing that the Lord shared with us because of our ward's faithful temple attendance.

4. Another tender moment. Last week Hermana López and I invited Cesar Aburto, one of the Young Men in the ward, to go visit Gladys, a recent convert, with us. He said yes, and everything started out really well in the lesson. Right after the prayer, one of Glady´s evangelical friends came to visit, and didn't have any other choice but to sit and listen to us. She was very Anti Book of Mormon, and we tried patiently to explain to her the relationship between the Bible and the Book of Mormon. That woman just would not understand, though.

As she threw out rude and passionate comments, I was surprised to see Cesar respond to her "Now just a moment, the Book of Mormon does not replace the Bible. They were written in different continents, and you just need to ask the Lord if it is true." More than once, he answered her questions calmly, but clearly, and at the end of the lesson, we congratulted him. He told us he felt so surprised and frustrated that she was so closehearted, and we could tell that the experience had really impacted him. We kinda wondered if he would ever come out to visit with us again...

This Sunday, his Mom taught the RS class about the Holy Ghost, and began sharing Cesar´s experience with the class. She said that when he came home, he told her how helpless he'd felt at first, but then said he felt that burning feeling in his chest and that the words just came to him. When I first met him, he said he had doubts about if the church was really true, but now he has decided that the next time the ward goes to the temple, he is going to be on the inside. He told his Mom that he will always come with us when we call him, and that he knows that the Holy Ghost really is real.

I almost cried when she shared that....

5. Time is up, but I love you all so much. I pray for you!! I know that this work belongs to the Lord. I hope we are participating-

Hermana Oldroyd


Daniela, an old investigator. We went by her house right on her birthday, when she was anxiously waiting for people to come by and visit her. It was a tender mercy from the Lord, even though we hadn't planned it. How obvious it is that He really loves His children!




1 comment:

  1. Sweet Hermana Oldroyd (it's going to be hard to not call you that when you come home!), thank you so much for sharing these experiences!! The Spirit just warmed my heart over and over as I read :-) I LOVE your insight about those on the other side waiting for us to share the gospel with their descendants! I know I've felt the help of my ancestors. It's certainly something I'll be more aware of when I pray for the opportunity to share the gospel :-)
    You are such a great example in all you do-I sure do love and admire you!

    Sis Hart <3

    ReplyDelete