February 3, 2014

Temple Grounds

My dear people!

Oh my, crazy week. I'll try and hammer out a description of everything that happened.

Everything was pretty normal up until Thursday. I believe I've mentioned the Arturo, Leslie family before, right? They're one of the first families we met when we got here to Collao. Javiera is their 16 year old daughter, and she has various challenges but is a really good girl. Not a member. Sofìa was 7 when we first met her, and introduced herself saying "My name is Sofi, and when I turn 8 I'm going to be baptized!"  Lucas is a cute little 2 year old flirt, and he always scrunches up his face and makes eyes at us.

Time passes, and we keep trying to help Javi progress towards baptism. Meanwhile, Arturo tells us one day that Sofìa won't be getting baptized on her birthday, because she wants him to perform the baptism. Oh no. That is not ok, buddy! Just in case anyone is wondering, D&C 68 makes that pretty clear.  We invited them to study and pray as parents about what they should do, and we were thrilled when they decided that Sofie should be baptized.

We helped them work things out with the bishopric and planned a couple little things to support the ward in the planning. 8 year olds count towards the ward as their baptism, so we weren't too stressed when Thursday came around. Went to lunch with the Bishop's wife and daughter, and Kate said to us "Yeah, Hermanas! Way to have a baptism! One more for your numbers!" We expressed our excitement and explained the situation to them, and Hermana Vargas said to us "Hermanas, that doesn't make sense. Neither of her biological parents are members, and she has no record with the church. She is a convert!"









After going through the Zone Leader, Assistants, and Mission President phone tree, we found out that she was right. Basically, we had a convert baptism planned in three hours without ever having taught her the commandments, interviewed her for baptismal worthiness, filling out a baptismal registro..... Ohhhhh boy. We were so embarrassed and so amazed at the same time- How did we not realize that she would count as a convert?? How did no one in the ward pick that up either until the very day of her baptism??

So it was crazy, but we got our district leader over to interview her, crash course taught her about tithing, the law of chastity, and the word of wisdom, and had a lovely baptism that afternoon. Everything went really well after that- I sang and gave a talk, and we all ate a lot of food after. I think the best part, though, was right after Sofìa came out of the water. Javiera was standing in the hallway, waiting, so I went up and asked her how she felt. She started crying and said "I feel so many things..." Talking to her a little more, (she is super shy and doesn't talk very much), we were able to help her recognize the Spirit and her own need to be baptized. She finally accepted a baptismal date!!! It is going to be a really long road for her, and I really need you to pray for her. She may be one of the most complicated investigators we've had, due to a mix of things, but I'm so happy for her progress and I know she can do it.

That was Thursday. Friday, some of our Hermanas called us because they'd had a big blow up. We talked to each of them on the phone, tried to help, but they kept calling us with problems, so we went over to their sector that night and had a companionship inventory with them. That was interesting and stressful. Also praying for them a lot.

Saturday, President Arrington invited us to do service with his family and a small group of missionaries. Want to know where?? On the future Conce temple site!!! It was so special to be on the temple grounds, take a little tour and hear about the progression of the temple, and just feel the special spirit that was there. It was so powerful. Had a blast chatting with their little visiting grandchildren and pulling some weeds.







Temple site


Other little details- accidentally stepped on a mirror. If something falls on me or I suddenly get sick and I never make it home, that is why. Used my sewing kit for the second time and fixed one of my skirts. We're making brownies about 3 times a week here, and everyone loves them! Our ward here has super high testimony quality here- there were no rambling stories, a super strong spirit, and it was super great to go and renew covenants. Also, one of the construction workers that we talked to in the street actually came to church. Whoah!!! That was a first. Turns out inviting people to church in the street does work out sometimes.

I love being a missionary!!! I know that the Lord is so aware of us. He loves us and tries to show His love in so many ways- are we looking to see them? Anything is possible with His help.

I love you!!

Hermana Oldroyd



Did I touch that?? Yes I did!!!!! Just ignore my facial expression....


No comments:

Post a Comment