February 17, 2014

Fulfilled by Service

I'm so happy!!
 It was a good week. I feel very fulfilled by the service we're doing here, whether that be teaching an investigator, listening to a member tell their life story, listening to an hermana about her struggles, or making up jokes and trying to be fun for Hermana Call. Here are some more little moments-

1. Our cute district leader, Elder Layton is so protective and sincere. He asked us what he could do for us, and we jokingly told him to bring ice cream to district class for us. He really brought us all ice cream!!! I was so touched. It helped me reflect on the love of God, and how much He really does just want to please us and makes us happy. Little miracle.

2. When we went to visit Hermana Marlenney and Nelson and their family, she said, 'I have something to show you!' She pulled out one of her mission pictures and said, 'Do you recognize anyone?' Examining the picture, there was someone that seemed familiar, but it just wasn't quite coming... 'That is your cousin!!!' She said. Turns out that one of my cousins was her district leader!! How crazy is that?? She showed me pictures and told me stories (Apparently they both loved granola and yogurt, and the zone teased them for eating it at activities. He also drew the calendars and announcements for their zone- she wasn't surprised when I told her he now works for church magazines.)

3. Was really touched by the Relief Society lesson. It made me wish I'd been a more loving sister, a more attentive daughter and granddaughter. I hope we are really serving and loving our families- they are the most precious that we have. I'm determined to be better when I get home.

4. Am LOVING all the opportunities I'm having to counsel people- the concept fascinates me and it really is something that I want to be able to do just exactly like the Savior. We so naturally seek help and counsel from those we love, wanting to express ourselves and our needs and our desires. Sometimes we go, seeking solutions and wanting a way out of the problems that fog our eyes. Other times people come to us, and in our desires to help, we give a prescription and shower them with advice that we think will help them. The most inspired model I've seen, though, is when we listen and ask inspired questions to help people come to their own conclusions. Inside of each of us, we already have the answers that we need. The Spirit wants to speak them to us, but we get so clouded by our own confusions and problems. Sometimes all we need is for someone to listen, express a little bit of love, and ask us the right questions to help us find our own inspired solution.

I love you so much!!! Be missionaries. It is what the Lord wants from us.

Hermana Oldroyd












Have I mentioned I love bombachos? Because I do!!!!!!! They're big and bright and comfortable. I might bring home 12 pairs.




Hermana Marlenney showing me her mission book- So crazy that she served with one of my cousins!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment