June 3, 2013

Prescription

My dear people!

Have I mentioned that each week feels like a lifetime? At the prescription of my district leader, (Elder Brown from Provo- he totally knows the Glazier family!), I printed and read the talk "What does it mean to be perfect?" By Cecil O. Samuelson. Ahh, good old Cecil. I cried on the bus home from Conce as I read it, but I also felt a huge burden lifted from me, and this Sunday during the Santa Cena (sacrament) confirmed that wonderful and new realization. This is what the Atonement is for me- that I can be imperfect, that I can fall short of my hopes, and yet still qualify for the love and support of the Savior. What an empowering realization, that I can acknowledge both my imperfection and His cleansing sacrifice at the same time, knowing that only with this combination can I truly grow and improve.

That was Monday. Tuesday we worked hard, as usual, and Wednesday came the miracles. We had planned, prepared, and sought for the Spirit as much as we could, and out we went to baptize the world! That afternoon, we went to visit Patty Cortez, a sister of Ana, Lucia, and Maria Cortez. She recently had an operation but is mostly better now, and had mentioned a matrimony that we could go visit. We passed by her house, asked her how she´d been, and she began to share her feelings with us. She said something along the lines of- "I know that the missionaries are here to find and bring new people into the church, but every once in a while, the members just really need the missionaries in their homes. When I first got sick, the missionaries didn´t visit me." She went on to tell us how our presence in her family´s life has been exactly the strength that they needed. Practically all of them are dealing with serious health problems right now, Saria is preparing to leave on her mission, they´re a mix of active and menos activo miembros, and somehow the very first families that I became close to in Lirquen are members of this Cortez family. I can´t explain how that happened, but I knew in that lesson that one of the reasons the Lord called me to LIrquen was for them. I knew it, and I felt so blessed to see a small part of the influence that I´ve had here.

There were other things that happened that day, other little miracles that just added and added up. It was a beautiful confirmation of what I´d learned just a couple days before, and I want to testify to all of you that the Lord really is just waiting to bless us for our righteous actions and our faith. I love and pray for you all!!

Thoughts and prayers,

Hermana Oldroyd

The rainy season is here.

So we take our trash out 2 days every week: Monday and Thursdays. But since there are so many stray dogs, we have to hang our trash in the trees.
 
Lirquen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment