May 6, 2013

Big question

¡Hola todos!

Hope you´re all doing so well. Hardly know what to write this week... Hm, strange feeling. Perhaps I´ll write just a little bit and spend more time explaining my pictures. The work goes on for Hermana Peterson and I. This Thursday we had a mission conference, which was so so good. I got to see Hermana Gonzalez, meet new Hermanas, and learn so much. I also said the closing prayer!

Bread bowls with Chili, yumm

Obviously, every big church meeting or event like this deserves a predetermined list of questions. (just like General Conference, etc. Maybe you could think about doing the same for your next meetings, firesides, devotionals, etc.)
 I took one big question- "What is it that I´m lacking, or what do I need to do to become a celestial missionary?" We had several breakout sessions, several encouraging talks by the APs, the President, etc. and by the end of the conference, I was very impressed with my answer. It may not have been the answer I expected, but I came to realize in a very personal way that there really isn´t any big secret. I will become the missionary I want to be when I can combine all the small things that I learn each day and put them into practice on the streets, in the houses of my investigators. As I apply little things, I´ll bring about great miracles. I know it. I also know that I´m not quite there yet, and if I only look at the end goal of where I want to be as a missionary and person, discouragement will quickly follow. I´m learning to focus each day on the little goals that we´ve set, to work to perfect just this one principle or just that one skill. This is the process that will take us to perfection, along with the incredible atoning power of the Lord. As we walk step by step towards the future that the Lord holds for us, let us not lose sight of our little victories. I´m not perfect in this principle either, but I needed to use it this week to get through a really discouraging day.

Yes, there are hard moments in the mission every here and there. Mine came on Saturday night- we´d planned a ward mission activity for that day and had three investigators committed to come.


We spent a good deal of time preparing for the activity, and in the end, none of our investigators came to the activity. We called and called, but as we got message machine after message machine, I felt like I´d wasted the Lord´s time and felt a bit lost in being a senior companion and trainer. Prayed a lot that night, talked with my compainon, and thought back to the conference. It was in that moment that it really all came together into the lesson that I learned above.

As for some funny moments this week? I still snore as loudly as ever! Hermana Peterson told me that about 2 minutes after I climb into my sleeping bag, I´ll start quietly and then build and build to a climax. One night this week, I abruptly stopped after this climax and then started speaking fast and furious Spanish to someone in my sleep. Sorry, Hermana...



Also had our first real rain!! It was wonderful and so fun. The good news is that my jacket and boots are still as fabulous as ever, and I think we´ll be good for the winter season coming up.



Also sang a musical number with the Hermanas and ward mission leader in sacrament meeting. I even had a solo! You´d be proud of me. We also performed several funny little skits in our talent show, and all the members really loved those.

Think that´s it for now! Love you all so much

Hermana Oldroyd

A mouse in the house!!
The cat that Hermana Daglio grabbed to help us out... It did nothing
(luckily Mr Mouse found the front door . . .and was never seen again)

No comments:

Post a Comment