September 2, 2013

Tithing

My dear people-

Up and down week. I think I´ll give just a quick summary and then expand on a couple events if I can.

Friday morning we taught Arturo the law of tithing. Come to find out, in all her years as a member, Hermana Berta has never paid tithing, and does not have intentions of changing. Even after teaching the principle the best that we could and explaining all the blessings we receive for paying tithing, they weren't willing to live they law. He had an interview with Elder Dumm on Saturday night, and didn't pass his interview because of it.

That was sad in a still, quiet way that I've never felt sad before. It was different from the Alexis moment (Remember that? The returned missionary that said he didn't want his daughter to be involved in the gospel?), because that sadness was hot and sudden and deep. This was a little more broad, and more bearable. Perhaps I'm learning to take others' agency in stride. Can I just repeat that there is no monetary sacrifice, no emotional offence, no Sunday football game that is worth sacrificing the blessings of the Lord's gospel. Anyone here willing to trade 16 dollars for the blessings of an eternal marriage? Because I'm sure not. We've thought, fasted, and prayed for him, and we're patiently doing all that we can to help him have a spiritual experience with baptism and the law of tithing. Please pray for him-

Friday night we took a bus to Chillan in preparation for a mission conference. We sisters got to stay with the Pulsiphers in a very nice apartment, and they treated us very well. The only downside is that they reminded us that Saturday was the first BYU Football game.... Darn it!!





Saturday morning was the conference, with Walter F. González and his wife as the visiting authorities. They were so good! I was very inspired. Also played the piano, and it happened to be one of those conferences that started a little late. Gotta love playing prelude for an hour!



Hermana Carmen Rosa sends her love to all of you. She is one of the most fantastic people I have ever met, and is a huge blessing for us. She washes our clothes, makes us food, teaches Gospel Principles, and comes with us to visit two or more times a week. I honestly admire and love her so much!

Mom, you'd be proud of me. We cleaned the refrigerator like crazy today, and felt quite accomplished. There may or may not be President Inspections coming up, so we´re trying to be prepared.


THAT, my friends, is only one of the gigantic ice chunks that we chipped out of our freezer. I do not think that there is a cleaner refrigerator in all of Chile today.

We went running this week! Just imagine trotting past a Chilean vineyard as the sun comes up. We'll see if I can convince Hermana Nájera to let us do it more often!

Maybe there will be peanut butter in the Unimark today?? Last week they said they´d be getting a new shipment, and I sure hope so.

I love this work so much. In all things, I've been blessed to feel the presence of the Lord here in Estación. We may have some weaknesses, and we may have a lot of work to do, but we have heavenly help from all sides. I love each of you and encourage you to, in times of doubt or discouragement, go to the Book of Mormon. It is inspired of God and will serve as a tool of the Lord in our lives if we let it be so. It has a real power to change, uplift, and bless us. I love the Lord, love this work, and love each of you.

Take care-

Hermana Oldroyd


FHE with Henry and Ana Maria Castillo and their family


Have I mentioned that we´re almost coming up on spring here? Say hello to the cockroaches.


No comments:

Post a Comment