August 20, 2013

NOTHING worth distancing yourself

Once again, there is hardly a place to start.

Welcome to Cauquenes, Estación! After a long day of goodbyes on Monday, we arrived Tuesday morning here in Cauquenes. In total, it took four buses and a taxi to get to our area. Hermana Nàjera and I live alone in our own little house, and are working in a branch along with two Elders, Elder Dumm from California and Elder Cruz de Bolivia. The terrain here is really flat, and a lot more like the country. Trees, hills, fields. Whereas the schedule problem with Lirquen was the shifts of the port, here is that families leave all week to work in fields or vineyards closeby. The stars are breathtakingly beautiful and everytime we walk to Las Conquistadores (part of our sector), I feel like I'm walking through Pride and Prejudice.



 



When I first arrived, there had been a few little miscommunications between my companion and the branch president and our ward mission leader. I think we're on a very good road to fixing it, so no worries there. Hna Nàjera and I get along really, really well, and we've had an instant trust that allows us to talk very freely one with another. I know we'll do good work together. And as for work, lets just say that there is a LOT of it. The branch has an attendance of about 35 people, (there are three kids in Primary, two in Young Men, and no Young Women), our Area Book is about the size of one of our pamphlets, and the map of our sector could use some help. Our ward mission leader, Nikolas, is a recent convert of about four months, and our branch president only has one counselor. There has not been a very good tradition of retention here, but let me tell you one thing- everything is about to change.

 

 


Walking through the fields one night and chatting with Hermana, I felt more strongly than I ever have that this is where the Lord wants me to be. It all felt familiar- the area, being with Hermana Nàjera, being faced with this challenge of reactivating the branch. I felt like I'd been here before, like I knew this place, like I am here specifically for Hermana Nàjera as well. Before coming here, I'd been a bit discouraged with my lack of personal growth, but this is a time when I can really step out of normal and put my whole heart and mind into the work. The thing that most concerns me is the use of our time- we have so little and so much to do!! I want to make better use of every moment we have here and be very anxiously engaged in this good cause.

 


May I make a little plea to all of you? Consider what you value in your life right now. What are you sacrificing for what you now have? Even in this one week, we've met several people who have distanced themselves from the church because of a minor offence, a piece of gossip, lack of economic help from the church, lack of support in their calling, etc. With all my soul, I hope and pray that we can reinstate the flame of the gospel here in Estaciòn, reinspire the testimonies that once were in the hearts of these dear people.

Once again I'm reminded that there is just NOTHING worth distancing yourself from the church. I know its naive, but part of me just doesn't understand how everyone doesn't love this gospel like I do. It is the best thing that we could ever have! It is the one way to real happiness, and it is not worth sacrificing these blessings for a moment of pain, shame, or frustration. Don't let other people dictate the eternal blessings that you receive. I love the gospel with all my heart and sometimes it hurts me to be so imperfect in this, the Lord's work. I'll keep doing all that I can-

Love you all immensely

Hermana Oldroyd

P.S. I tracked dog poop into a house again, but this time it was an investigator. I've got to stop doing that...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment