April 8, 2013

Conference Weekend

Hola Todos!
Espero que esten bien. It was a crazy up and down week, but this week is a new one and I´m ready to be so much better than I was the last. Where to start...? Wednesday was the "down" of the week- for some reason I just felt discouraged that afternoon. As I thought more and the day went on, I wasn´t as dilligent as I should´ve been and didn´t spend my time very productively. By the end of the day, I was really feeling the full weight of all my choices. I felt terrible. Cried a little, prayed a lot, and studied repentance and dilligence the next day. I worked a lot harder, and obviously I´m still a work in progress. There is so much I want to do as a missionary, and such infinite potential in this missionary work. I feel much more comfortable with Lirquen, the geography, the ward, etc. and now I feel ready to dig deeper and do more. I´ve never been a very detail oriented person (You can ask my Mom if you don´t believe me!), but now is my time to step it up and start being one! Oh boy, it is going to be a bit of a struggle for me, but I will really try to focus during all of our planning sessions to cover everything that needs to be done, to make lists to remember everything, to study our area even more in order to be more efficient, to organize our information, to make phone calls, to measure our time more exactly. And through all of this, to be confident in myself as a missionary and ALWAYS listen to the Spirit. Oh my, so many ways I could improve.
 
As you all know, this weekend was General Conference!! It was so wonderful and exactly what I needed. I daresay it was the fastest conference I have ever experienced. We made lots of plans and called lots of investigators to come with us, and as of Friday afternoon, we had two investigators committed to come, Rosa for Saturday morning, and Aurora for Saturday afternoon. We also had another possible investigator, Scarlett, for Sunday morning. Yayy!! Saturday morning, we went to pick up Rosa, a middle aged woman with a baptismal date but a lot of remaining doubts about the gospel. As we visited with her, she basically told us that she had "visits" to make, that she didn´t feel the need to come, that she didn´t feel the need to seek an answer to her prayers, and that she didn´t want us to teach her anymore. Perhaps stop by to visit, but she has no interest in being baptized. That morning I brought only some personal questions to conference, but they were all answered.
 
As for the setting of my General Conference, all us English speaking missionaries gathered in a little classroom, and it was wonderful. We had a few snacks, had a little English break to speak and joke around, and it was a great bonding time. It felt like a little family.
 
 
 
As for General Conference talks, I loved Elder Cardon´s about forgiveness. It was exactly what I needed to hear after my "weak" week, and I cried. I can´t remember exactly which authority suggested that youth preparing to go on missions should defer their college admission, but I laughed out loud when I thought of all the reprecussions that could have for the Admissions Office. Is Cecil preparing a statement to respond to that? I also laughed a bit during Elder Clayton´s talk about marriage- I could vividly imagine the playful banter in between Mom and Dad in the living room downstairs as they listened together to the counsel of the Lord.
 
I wrote down several questions before conference, but there was one that I dismissed, choosing not to add it to the list. Part of me wanted to ask if my family was really being watched over, if you are really being cared for and protected. I didn´t write it becauce I already know the answer to that question! Like Elder Holland said, we need to acknowledge our faith first, not our doubt, and I have all faith that the Lord is watching out for you. However, Elder Eyring addressed this exact topic in his talk, promising that the families of those who serve are blessed, protected, shielded by the arm of the Lord. You should´ve felt the intense spirit in that classroom as our small group of missionaries sat and quietly absorbed all the significance of that promise.
 
Also enjoyed Sister Wixom´s talk about the effect of words on children. I don´t remember any exact words by which my parents raised me, but as I thought of them and all they continue to teach me, the overarching statement I draw from them is something like this (excerpt from my conference notes) "You are strong and bright and good. You have gifts you need to share, many roles you must assume, and a light that you must shine. Take the gospel to the world! Have it always in your heart and we will be here by your side." I am so grateful for my parents and the love they´ve always shown me.
 
Very struck by President Monson´s remarks as well. OBEDIENCE. This is so applicable to us all, and so very very applicable to me as a missionary. We have so many promised blessings, but we can only receive them if we "hear and do" the will of the Lord. Anyone else notice that the story of the Wiseman was mentioned three times throughout conference? Hear and Do, build on the right foundation, be ready for storms, and we will be alright!
 
Really don´t have much more time to write. I love you all and pray for each of you!!

Hermana Oldroyd
Yes, I live in a seaside town. What can I say?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment